Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Twenty Ninth

I apologize for not writing too much lately. Yesterday I got to spend time and talk with lots people that I care about a lot. It was nice to have real conversations. It was nice to ask how each other were doing and get real answers. But, today is January 29, 2011! Why am I so excited?? It's Kansas' 150th Birthday! I thought about baking a cake, but I'm not really in the mood. I've mostly been studying and catching up on TV today. Today is a beautiful Kansas day, and in a very Kansas fashion the high is 48 today, but by Monday there will be snow again and highs in the low 20s.

I think Kansas is a very underestimated state. For one, it's on the cutting edge of many biological and energy source research development. Yes, there are rural parts, but for there are plenty of cities to visit if you need an urban fix.

So here are 10 things I love about Kansas:
1. Beautiful Scenery, whether it be the prairies or the sunrises and sunsets, I always find something beautiful
2. All the seasons are represented. When I lived in Alaska, the seasons were winter, snow melt, and rain season. In Kansas summer is filled with hot humid heat, autumn all the trees turn beautiful colors, winter there are snow storms, and in spring everything is brought to life.
3. Geographical center of the 'lower 48's' (as the Alaskans say)
4. Sunflowers
5. An insane amount of republicans
6. Kansas State University
7. The History. i.e Brown v. board of education, the dust bowl, Dwight D. Eisenhower.
8. The people
9. I-70 (minus the toll booths). This interstate is like the belt of the United States.
10. The hometown I feel whenever I visit any other city in Kansas outside of Manhattan.

So tonight is the sunflower showdown. Can KSU beat KU? I would hope so, but I think it might be a tough win.

see ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment