Monday, April 4, 2011

The Ninety Third

Hello internet world.

I made it through my Monday classes! Can I get a hip-hip hooray?
Ah, so windy outside. I don't know why I'm always so surprised by the wind...I mean I do live in Kansas it is known for being windy. I mean two words: Dust Bowl.
Last night my chicken cattiatore was an Ichthus hit. I brought up my idea of having a Barn party and calling it "Hickthus" and no one thought it was a good idea (except for my roommate, who always seems to like my ideas)
Another thing about dinner last night. It's so neat that people in Ichthus are so passionate about other things. These people literally want to change the world, they want to leave an impression and an impact. I respect that so much. Members of Ichthus aren't there solely to stick their heads in the bible and put "Jesus Loves Me" stickers on their notebooks. They truly have a desire to live as Jesus did and spread his love and his activism around K-State and the world. That is so great.

Today in my women's studies class I learned that lots of people look down on C-sections as a form of childbirth. That is actually how I came into the world. I've never had one of those things personally, or experienced a healing process that is similar, but I do feel kind of shocked about it. This one girl in my class spoke about how she has seen a million documentaries on healthcare and maternity and knows that there is a lot that M.D's will not tell there patients, just so that there will be less work for them. So now I start getting defensive because of several reasons. 1. We all know that most documentaries, while informative, are told with a bias. I love documentaries, but most of the stuff I learn from them I must take with a grain of sand. 2. I respect people in the M.D. position. That is not an easy job to get, and once you get there you are overworked, pretty underpaid if your working in family medicine for how much schooling and knowledge you have and quite often people will question your diagnosis.
The girl in my class said that giving birth while laying on your back with your feet propped up is probably the worst position you could give birth, but this is how it is done. Oh, so that's the doctors fault? Imagine delivering about 400 babies a year, and standing crouched underneath a screaming woman, trying to make sure that the human being she is pushing out is not going to go crashing down to the floor...and then working for another 30 years. No, that's impossible, doctors would have so many bad occupational markers and back problems that that time span in which they can viably work in obstetrics will be quite shortened. All I have to say is there is nothing wrong with the way it is done. I just don't like disrespect, I mean the people who make those documentaries probably didn't go to medical school, probably didn't participate in a residency or a fellowship so they probably have no expert opinion to actually be making a documentary about it. There sole purpose is to probably make something seem worse than it actually is.

Wow, that was a bit of a rant. Sorry. I just sometimes find things like that a little outlandish, and sometimes I just have to say something about it.
bye

No comments:

Post a Comment