Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Big Booty

Today I realized that all my running up hill has made definitely made me stronger...and made me get a bigger booty. I'm like bustin' out of my jeans. I guess I need more flat runs. Or perhaps, stop eating chocolate cake. The latter is probably the more reasonable choice.

Today I was reading a book that I've been reading for over a year: Mere Christianity. Every sentence is so well thought out and so profound that I think C.S. Lewis is probably one of the most quotable men that walked the planet (next to Jesus, of course). So I pulled this quote:

"My argument against God was that the universe seemed to cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What whas I comparing this universe with when I call it unjust? ...a man feels wet when he falls into water, because man is not a water animal: a fish would not feel wet. Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private ideaof my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too- for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist- in other words, that the whole reality was senseless- I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality-namely my idea of justice- was full of sense. Consquently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe, therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be a word without meaning."

C.S. Lewis





I'm so so so excited for school to start. I can't wait to learn!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh Brooke. I'm so glad we're friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Book Mere Christianity is one of the best books ever. I read a lot, I've read hundreds of spiritual books over the years, but this book is filled with power in its simplicity. as i was perusing your blog i just read this post and thought I'd say, Excellent! as long as i'm on the subject, a wonderful book, now online, is of two women trying to get their spiritual life together. each day is a message that resonates- try it out here: http://www.twolisteners.org/God%20Calling%20TOC.htm

    ReplyDelete