Sunday, June 12, 2011

Wildlife

Yesterday two swallows began building nest in our gutter. This would be okay if they weren't the type of birds to protect their nest. Every time we would open the front door we would be swarmed by these cute, but freaky, little birds. My dad began by hosing down the gutter, getting rid of their mud nest. They came flying back as my dad was spraying the gutter down. They were not happy birds, my dad sprayed them with water as to avoid getting attacked by these little swallows.
Not but 4 hours later, these two birds stood perched on our porch light. We thought they were just out of sorts and would leave. No. They began building another mud nest on the top of the light. This morning there were three swallows protecting the beginnings of a nest. So, when they were out collecting building materials my dad washed down the porch light, sprayed it with canola oil. The canola oil was a technique we learned about on google, the swallows won't build a nest on a surface on which their mud won't stick. When the birdies came back, they were so confused, probably a little upset.
I love our new house, pretty peaceful and very relaxing. I feel bad, however, that our new home has encroached on the homes of many species. So many hornets, wasps, deer, bunnies, frogs, turtles, birds, giant spiders, and I have yet to see a snake, but I'm sure there's a ton living in the forest behind our back yard.
I hope they can find a new home, just like we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment